Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Chicken and Sausage

Chicken and sausage is one of my favorite meat combinations, so when I found two sausages and a chicken breast in my freezer, I knew I had to figure out some way to use them. Tonight, when I only had two kids to feed, I did - it was quick (about 20 minutes if you use left-over rice or starch), easy, and tasty.

Chicken and Sausage Quick Fry (for 2-3 people)
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 spicy sausages, such as andouille, hot Italian, or chorizo
1 to 1.5 cups of frozen stir-fry peppers mix (red and green peppers, onions)
1/2 C sour cream
salt to taste
Cooked rice or pasta

Slice the chicken and sausages into bite-size pieces. Heat a large skillet over med-high heat and add the meat. Cook it fast and keep stirring; the meat should carmelize a little bit and the sausage juices should infiltrate the chicken. Add some salt , less than a teaspoon or to taste. When the meat is cooked through, move it to the outside of the skillet and add the frozen veggies; keep cooking and stirring until the moisture has evaporated and the veggies are warm. Turn the heat down to med-low and add the sour cream. Stir well; the sour cream and the sausage juices should form a thick sauce. Serve over rice or pasta, spooning the sauce over the meat and veggies.

No comments: