Sunday, June 29, 2008

Allium Quiche

At the farmers' market yesterday, I got five bags of garlic scapes that are now crying out to be used. I had decided to make a quiche for dinner, and started figuring out how to use the scapes; I ended up with a four-allium and cheese quiche that was really good, using the green garlic I bought at the market, some sliced sweet onions I had in the fridge, and some dried chives. I served it with sourdough bread, but a simple salad would probably have been even better.

Allium and Cheese Quiche
Make a quiche crust and line the pan with it.

Chop 4 garlic scapes. Slice half a dozen green garlic (or green onions). Dice 1/2 a sweet onion. Place all in the pan and spread evenly around the crust. Top with enough grated cheese to cover evenly; I used cheddar, but other flavors would work well (or scatter with some crumbled goat cheese).

Beat 4 eggs and add 1/2 cup of milk, a little salt and pepper, dried chives, and some Italian herbs, if you have any on hand. Pour evenly over alliums and cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes and serve warm.

Any leftover quiche is good for breakfast.

For the rest of the garlic scapes, I might make some pesto, which freezes well and is tasty with late-summer vegetables, or use them in cooking. But I will probably try pickling them, which sounds like fun. The recipe calls for combining white vinegar and water with a little sugar and salt, heating it and poured it into a canning jar full of scapes. The jar is then closed tight and refrigerated for two weeks. Finding ways to use them in sandwiches, salads, and other dishes could be fun - unless my kids eat them straight from the jar first.

(Allium is the family that includes all the garlic and onion varieties.)

No comments: