Sunday, May 25, 2008

Staying Out of the Way

Last semester, my oldest son did quite well in college and I gave myself a pat on the back for having homeschooled him so well, prepared him for college so well - look what a good job I did! I also breathed a huge sigh of relief at this proof of concept; until you get one child out in the world successfully, there is that niggling doubt that you might not have gotten this homeschool thing right. This semester he did even better, near-perfect grades, much better than he ever did at home, and I'm starting to think that my contribution to his success was mostly staying out of his way; somehow I managed to NOT kill his enthusiasm for learning or his belief in his ability to be successful. His achievement is so clearly his own, in ways that I didn't teach him, that I can't keep taking credit for it as a teacher. It is humbling, but also reassuring to know that my kids have already learned the most important things; my job is to let them continue to grow and thrive. So if they don't memorize every country next year in world geography, I think I can relax and be content with their knowing the major countries. I think...

No comments: