Monday, April 21, 2008

Greens Are Back!!

For the last month, I have had a hard time getting vegetables into our diet, partly because our schedule has been crazy but mostly because I just couldn't get excited about what was available. I'm trying to stick with seasonal choices - and there aren't many at this time of year. Most of the vegetables in the grocery store are summer vegetables from Mexico, if not South America. The winter options are getting old, both to my taste and literally; garlic is sprouting and dry, onions go bad after a day or two on the counter, potatoes sprout quickly, and I'm tired of turnips and rutabagas and parsnips. There is just nothing inspirational on the shelves.

But - greens are back!! Thanks to some dedicated growers who start plants in greenhouses when there is still snow on the ground, the first greens of the spring were at the mini-market tonight. I bought salad greens, arugula, spinach, baby mustard greens, baby bok choy, and radishes. After so long without greens, I am craving them; I'm not sure how we will eat them all before they go bad, but it will sure taste good to try! I also got four kinds of hand-made goat cheese and some rosemary crackers which will go well with salad one night, some big, beautiful shallots, a pizza crust, and some flourless chocolate cake. Admittedly, my hands nearly froze while I wrote the checks, but it was worth it - and now I will be able to taste spring.

No comments: