Thursday, February 14, 2008

Simple Sausage Soup

Last night was one of those nights when I am in town until after 8:00 with two kids and my husband brings the third one home after 9:00, which meant I needed something simple for a late, light dinner before bed. Luckily, I had green-onion sausage in the freezer and turmeric rice in the fridge, so it came together pretty quickly. I browned the sausage before I left at 5:00, dumped the rest of the ingredients in when I got back, and turned the burner on medium to reheat the soup at 9:00. I also stuck some sourdough bread in the oven to crisp, and voila! Dinner was ready when the stragglers came home, hot, light, and quick.

Simple Sausage Soup
Brown a pound of sausage (green onion or sweet Italian) in a soup pot. Drain grease if needed. Add the same volume of cooked rice (brown rice cooked with turmeric in the water), enough pork or chicken broth to cover the meat and rice completely, and a can of diced tomatoes, including juice. Bring to a simmer for maybe five minutes. Adjust broth seasoning as needed. Serve with some crusty bread.

No comments: