Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Desperation Pears

My son ended up with two friends joining us for dinner tonight - which was fine, except that I didn't have anything planned for dinner. I had some chicken and plenty of tortellini, but not much in the way of vegetables. No canned corn, which I am supposed to always have but which SOMEONE forgot to put on the grocery list when they used the last can. Now what?

The one thing I did have was pears. OK, fruit works as well as a vegetable to balance a meal. But what to do with them? After a little thought, I cut them in half and cored them, brushed some maple syrup on the cut edges, sprinkled a little pepper on them, and stuck them under the broiler until they looked cooked but not mushy, about 20 minutes (I think - I wasn't paying attention). The boys loved the pears and I served a balanced (if visually bland) meal, so everyone was happy. It's amazing what you can come up with in desperation.

No comments: