Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Boys Read Dante?

I give up. I am done predicting what 15-year-old boys will do next. I was baffled enough when my son eagerly gave up Chaucer to read Dante's Inferno. He has read it steadily and cheerfully, and is now nearly done with it; it is time to start thinking about what to read next. So what does he choose? Dante's Purgatorio. Huh? I didn't even know that there was a third one until my son figured out from his book that the Divine Comedy is a trilogy. I have the Paradiso to match the Inferno, but not Purgatorio, so I had to go online and find a copy; my son is really enjoying John Ciardi's translation and commentary, so we might as well get the same series (and that way the three books will match, which only matters to me). I think I'm going to have to read Dante soon - it is embarassing to have my teenager better read than I am!

No comments: