Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Roasted Winter Veggies

I think I have finally found my Christmas veggies, after several years of experimenting. It is seasonal, and I can put it in the oven just before my parents come over with gifts to open. I commented to my father that I know they aren't big fans of winter vegetables, and he joked, "I didn't know there were any." But he ate it all, as did my mother. Now I just have to decide if the left-overs will be eaten fast enough or if I should make them into a gratin of some sort.

Roasted winter veggies
Preheat oven to 350 or 400 degrees. Clean, trim, and cut into bite-size pieces some combination of the following (I used the first four plus shallots):
Celeriac
Rutabagas (sweet, looks like a turnip - very good)
Parsnips
Sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes)
Turnips
Beets
Carrots (big chunks)
Shallots or onions (definitely include some of these)
Garlic - whole cloves
Potatoes (not too many)
Sweet potatoes or yams

Place in a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and some herbs (I used savory), and toss with your hands. Place in oven; this will take just under an hour at 400 degrees, over an hour at 350 degrees - the temperature can match your meat, if it is in the oven too. About 20-30 minutes before you pull the veggies out, trim some sweet peppers (I like the little ones that come in a plastic case) and add them to the pan.

Remove the pan from the oven. Cut some goat cheese into small chunks and toss with the veggies. Serve.

No comments: