Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Left-over Artichoke Dip

If, by any miracle, you have left-over artichoke dip, there are lots of things you can do with it:
  • Use it as a spread for a grilled or hot sandwich, especially with portobello mushrooms, chicken, or beef.
  • Pound some chicken breasts flat, spread some spinach leaves on top, and cover with a layer of the dip. Roll up carefully and place in a baking dish. Add a little something for moisture (white wine, chicken broth), maybe a slice of provolone on each breast, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
  • Grill beef tenderloins, reheat dip (maybe after adding some minced garlic), and serve beef on top of dip, with baguette.
  • Use as a topping for baked potatoes (reheat first).
  • Add chopped onions or shallots, reheat, and use on top of mashed potatoes.
  • Top a hamburger with bacon and warmed dip.
  • Grill portobello mushrooms, top with warmed dip, and stick under the broiler for a few minutes, then serve as appetizer or main course. I would probably add a dash of Worchestershire sauce to the mushrooms before I grilled them.
  • Reheat and use in pork or chicken tacos (without too much hot sauce).
  • Spread on pizza instead of tomato sauce, preferably after adding some minced garlic.
  • Reheat and use as intended.

Hmmm - I might have to see if the dip freezes and make several batches to store for future dinners. I know it will keep in the fridge for 24 hours before baking and I can't think of anything that freezing would harm. (On the other hand, everything in salsa freezes fine, but salsa gets watery after being frozen.) It would certainly be handy to have stashed in the freezer.

1 comment:

elle kasey said...

I dared to consume five day old leftover artichoke dip tonight. (I traveled, it would never last five straight days.) Now that I know what to do with leftover dip I'll be making another batch. Artichoke dip AND potatoes - and I thought I loved potatoes too much. Yum!