Sunday, December 23, 2007

Kingfishers

One of my favorite birds is the belted kingfisher. We don't see them very often, but today a kingfisher was perched on the power lines along the bridge over the East Gallatin River, precisely in the middle of the span, watching the river. Kingfishers are riparian birds, claiming about a kilometer of the river, bank, and vegetation as their territory. They build their nest by burrowing tunnels into the bank, up to 8 feet in length. We first became intrigued by them when my son wore a mohawk; he was delighted by the fact that the bird did, too. That year, we saw the kingfisher almost every morning on our way to preschool; since then, we have been lucky to see them sporadically. So seeing one makes me happy because I don't very often, and because it reminds me of a particularly cute stage in my son's life.

No comments: