Sunday, December 9, 2007

Hard-core Lasagne

For my birthday today, my kids made dinner. My youngest son made an artichoke dip for an appetizer, my daughter made the chocolate pound cake for dessert, and my teenage son got the heavy work of making lasagne. You and I know that there are fairly straightforward ways of putting lasagne together with ready-made ingredients, but I haven't told my son that because the recipe he uses starts from scratch and is amazing to eat. I did let him off the hook for making the lasagne noodles (which he did one year, and which adds an hour to the process), but he still made the tomato sauce from scratch, simmering it for two hours; the cheese is a mix of ricotta and heavy cream and spices; and the sausage has various things added to it before it is browned. It took him multiple pots and all afternoon to make two pans of lasagne (one for dinner, for for the freezer as my birthday present) and a few small ones for lunches. It made for a fabulous birthday dinner that didn't need any side dishes, and I am looking forward to having leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Someday I will tell him that there are easier ways to make lasagne - when he is no longer home to make it for my birthday.

Artichoke dip:
In a food processor, place
2 cans artichoke hearts, drained
1 C shredded parmesan (do this in the processor before switching to the metal blade)
4 oz feta cheese
enough mayonnaise to make it all hold together, about 1/4 cup
Pulse to blend and stop before you have a paste.

Spoon into a small baking dish and cook at 375 degrees for half an hour. Serve with crackers or small toasts.

No comments: