Monday, November 12, 2007

Ceviche Salad

I went to the Co-op yesterday, looking for something to finish dinner. I knew I was making lemon-pepper chicken and brown rice, but had no idea what was going with it. But as usual, the Co-op provided some inspiration. I ended up with the ingredients for bruschetta appetizers and ceviche salad, which I based on the ceviche that my kids love, and it all worked well (except that we still haven't adjusted to how long the rice steamer takes, and we ended up having a baguette instead of the rice).

Simple Bruschetta:
Slice a baguette thin and spread each slice with a mild soft cheese - I used a goat mozzeralla from a local producer. Top with a small dollop of pesto and half a kalamata olive. Place on a cooling rack and stick under the broiler until the bread just starts to toast. Eat quickly, before it disappears.

Ceviche Salad (for 5-6 people):
Whisk together:
1/2 C olive oil
1/2 C lime juice
1/2 a moderate head of garlic (3-6 cloves, depending on size)
1/2 tsp salt

Add 1/2 pound of cooked shrimp and let sit for half an hour.
Toss a medium red onion, diced fine, and 8 Roma tomatoes, diced, together with the shrimp and dressing. Serve with baguette to soak up the dressing.

No comments: