Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Roasted Pears

I had a long day in town yesterday, then needed to feed my parents dinner while the kids were carving pumpkins. So I needed something easy that didn't require much time in the kitchen - or much thought. I picked up some roasted chickens from the grocery store and made some rice, but the veggie took a little longer to figure out. I had what I needed to make roasted veggies, but I made that last weekend, and besides, it takes too long to clean all the vegetables. While I was stewing over this at the grocery store, I found a pile of good-looking pears on sale and bought some for breakfasts. Then it finally occurred to me that the dinner vegetable didn't have to be a veggie - it could be a fruit, instead. So I bought 4 pears (for 7 people) and some locally-made feta cheese and made roasted pears. It was easy to make and a hit with my parents and my kids, so I'll be making it again. It sounds a little odd, but it is really good and not too sweet.

Roasted Pear Salad:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Core and slice pears into eight pieces each, and place in a roasting pan. Drizzle rice wine vinegar and maple syrup (or apple cider vinegar and honey) over the top; do not salt. Place in oven and roast for 30-40 minutes. Dice the feta cheese (2 oz per pear). Toss pear slices in liquid at bottom of pan and place on plates, top with feta. Optional: add walnuts or pecans, plain, toasted, or candied.

3 comments:

Valli said...

I am supposed to bring "The Side Dish" for a dinner on Sunday night. I couldn't think of anything squash-y that I really wanted to bring, but now I have the perfect solution! I can't wait to try them. I am going to do the maple and vinegar option as opposed to the honey.

The Magpie said...

Ideally, you would bake the pears at your friend's house. But since that is seldom practical, bake it at home and carry it warm to their house before adding the feta. Or, if you have the use of the oven briefly, reheat for 10 minutes to warm the pears and sauce before adding the feta. Enjoy!

Valli said...

At my little dinner party, no body wanted the pears as a side dish (for some kind of roasted pork, they all wanted something more savory) so I had to compromise and make them for dessert. I just did the maple syrup (no vinegar) and sprinkled plain goat cheese over it, but did not roast them for very long, so they stayed a little firm. The pears were warm and sweet and the goat cheese was from the Cowgirl Creamery. It was a perfect combo...especially with the prosecco we had with it. Although, I think that prosecco or champagne, goes with everything!