Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Kids Can Make You ADD

When you read about kids and ADD, it is always about the kids having ADD. But sometimes it works the other way 'round and the kids cause ADD. Over the last eight years of homeschooling, I have gotten amazingly adept at getting things done while my kids are in the room, asking questions, needing help. In fact, I've gone too far. Now that they are getting older, I find that I have trouble focusing on one task for very long. I get a lot done by doing things in little pieces. I pull summer shirts out of the closet and leave them on the bed to put away later. Six hours later, I take them downstairs. They won't get put into the storage closet until tomorrow unless I focus very hard... Getting a pile of papers dealt with takes days, because I can only deal with one folder or topic at a time before getting distracted. Sitting down to work on the well-right application is intimidating, because I know I will have to stick with it. And even without the kids in the room, I have a hard time focusing on anything for any length of time. If that isn't an attention deficit, I don't know what is. Maybe it should be called Child-Caused Attention Deficit Disorder and get its own place in the parenting manuals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are many examples of child-induced deficit disorders (commonly referred to as K.I.D.D.); such as clean house deficit disorder (C.H.D.D), clean garage deficit disorder (C.G.D.D.), clean car deficit disorder (C.C.D.D) and clean refrigerator deficit disorder (C.F.D.D. – most common as the kids hit the teen-age years).