Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Female Brain

Years ago, I read You Just Don't Understand, by Deborah Tannen, and it changed the way I think about things; it helped me make sense of the world I saw but hadn't been able to articulate. As I read, I kept thinking, "Oh, that explains what happens!" And the insights I gained from the book have helped me understand the people around me ever since.

I think I have stumbled on another enlightening book: The Female Brain, by Louanne Brizendine. She discusses how the various hormones that "marinate" the brain at different stages affect the female brain, and how that affects women's realities. She treats women as setting their own standard, not as substandard men, without descending into male bashing. I'm only two chapters in, but so much of what she says makes sense of my experience, from the importance of connection to how mothers affect their daughters in the first two years. It's fascinating to see why we are the way we are.

If the rest of the book is as good as the first two chapters, it will deserve a place on my bookshelf next to Tannen's book, and will be required reading for my daughter.

No comments: