Sunday, August 26, 2007

Honeydew Soup

Last week, I bought two melons raised in Montana, then promptly put them in the refrigerator and forgot about them. I finally pulled out the honeydew and made a cold soup out of it for dinner - very tasty on a warm summer day. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the other, larger one; I think it's a Crenshaw, and I have no idea what that tastes like.

To make the soup, I quartered the melon and removed all the seeds, then scooped out the melon and dropped it into the blender, one quarter at a time. I added about a tablespoon of lime juice, 1/2 to 1 cup of vanilla yogurt, and 1/2 cup of buttermilk (or plain yogurt, which would make the soup a little thicker) per quarter, and blended it all. It was great! with smoked pork chops (also local) and some baguettes. To half of the batches, I added 1/4 cup of sambuca (a licorice-flavored liqueur). My honeydew was so large that each quarter will feed 4 people as a side dish; I froze three batches for later use.

No comments: