Thursday, August 2, 2007

Dill Beans

My daughter and I made 12 pints of dill beans yesterday. I forget how long it takes to cut all the beans to the right length for the jars - my knees and back were sore by the end. I also forgot to get dill and couldn't find any on my emergency run to the grocery store, so I used dill seed; I hope it works properly. But it was cooler yesterday, and that helped.

For 12 pints of dill beans, get 6-7# fat, straight beans (right...) and cut them to the same height as the canning jar (I find that wide-mouth pints are a perfect fit for the beans). Heat 8 C. water, 8 C. white vinegar, and 3/4 C. canning salt to boiling. Place in each sanitized jar 1 garlic clove (peeled) and a head of dill (or teaspoon of dill seeds, if you are too unorgnaized to get dill), then pack the beans in as tightly as possible. Pour the vinegar mixture over the beans and top with seals and rims. Process in boiling water for 15 minutes.

Trimmings from long beans can be blanched and made into a nice salad with diced carrots.

Caution: If you haven't canned before, don't consider this a thorough recipe - it isn't. Please use a good source for canning, like Joy of Cooking.

No comments: